How do toxic levels of Arsenic in apple juice relate to your horse?
A few months ago Dr. Mehmet Oz exposed the alarmingly high levels of Arsenic found in common brands of apple juice. The Food and Drug Administration rebutted claiming the type and levels of Arsenic were “essentially harmless.” Consumer Reports recently conducted a study that shows otherwise.
Their tests found the following:
- Roughly 10 percent of our juice samples, from five brands, had total arsenic levels that exceeded federal drinking-water standards. Most of that arsenic was inorganic arsenic, a known carcinogen.
- One in four samples had lead levels higher than the FDA’s bottled-water limit of 5 ppb. As with arsenic, no federal limit exists for lead in juice.
- Inorganic arsenic has been detected at disturbing levels in other foods, too, which suggests that more must be done to reduce overall dietary exposure.
And most importantly when it comes to your horse:
- Mounting scientific evidence suggests that chronic exposure to arsenic and lead even at levels below water standards can result in serious health problems.
Now you are wondering how this effects your horse?
Joshua Hamilton, Ph.D., a toxicologist specializing in arsenic research and the chief academic and scientific officer at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Mass put it simply in regards to humans when he said, “People sometimes say, ‘If arsenic exposure is so bad, why don’t you see more people sick or dying from it?’ But the many diseases likely to be increased by exposure even at relatively low levels are so common already that its effects are overlooked because no one has looked carefully for the connection.”
This is the same in horses.
Even low levels of Arsenic, Lead and other toxic metals persist in the body for years following exposure. The body’s protective response is to ‘hide’ the toxic metals deep in organs and tissues causing side effects that can be very difficult to associate with the metal toxicity unless you do a specific test for this.
How is my horse exposed to toxic metals?
It is important to recognize that toxins can be transported for miles through water and air. The location of your where your horse’s feed is grown could be downstream from a mining, manufacturing or waste management facility and could thus be a source of toxicity.
How do I test for toxic metals?
The test is actually very simple to find out if your horse has been exposed to significant levels of toxic heavy metals over the last few months. The Horse Hair Analysis test is where you simply take a pencil width section of your horse’s mane, send it to our lab and get an in depth report back with the overall health of your horse. To purchase the HHA Test, please visit our online store. To learn more about Horse Hair Analysis, please visit our HHA section of our website.