Silly state laws involving horses
In a day and age where there are laws upon laws in this country and huge gaps in the law where there should be some regulation, we thought it would be entertaining to poke a little fun at our government and compile a list of silly laws that might actually affect horse lovers or would have 100 years ago. These are actual laws that are STILL on the government books in our country…FYI – Oklahoma takes the cake on this one!
- It is considered an offense to open an umbrella on a street, for fear of spooking horses.
- In the city of Aniston, it is illegal to wear blue jeans on Noble Street.
- Donkeys can not sleep in bathtubs.
- In the city of Prescott, AZ no one is permitted to ride their horse up the stairs of the county court house.
- In the city of Little Rock it is illegal for a dog to bark after 6PM.
- The city of Blythe says you are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.
- It is illegal to bring your horse or pack mule above the ground floor of any building in Cripple Creek, CO.
- In Hartford it is illegal to educate dogs.
- Acworth, GA says that every citizen must own a rake. We’ve got that covered!
- It is illegal to pass a horse on the street.
- It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets.
- In Marshalltown, it is illegal for a horse to eat a fire hydrant.
- It’s illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits in Baltimore, MD.
- In Detroit it is illegal to let your pig run free unless it has a ring in its nose. Say what?
- Horses are not to be housed within 50 feet of any road.
- It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone. Good idea!
- Any cattle that crosses state roads must be fitted with a device to gather its feces. Good luck!
- Automobiles are not to pass horse drawn carriages on the street.
- It is legal to shoot an Indian on horseback, provided you are in a covered wagon.
- In Canton, OH, electric fences are banned.
- One may not promote a “horse tripping event”. This should be on EVERY state law books.
- Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.
- It is illegal to have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots. Who hasn’t made their dog try on their riding boots?
- People who make “ugly faces” at dogs may be fined and/or jailed.
- It is illegal to wear your boots to bed.
- Mules may not drink out of bird baths in Wynona, OK.
- In Yukon, OK it is illegal to tie a horse in front of city hall.
- Riding a horse over any public highway for the purpose of racing, or testing the speed of the horse is illegal.
- Railroad companies may be held liable in some instances for scaring horses.
- No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants. Hmmmmmm…..
- It is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish. It’s probably impossible too!
- In Austin, wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.
- In Temple, TX, you can ride your horse into a saloon but no one may ride a horse and buggy through the town square.
- Texarkana law states that owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights. Safety first in Texarkana!
- It is against the law to fish from horseback.
- No one may wash a mule on the sidewalk in Culpeper, VA.