Toxic metals in horses
Toxic metal accumulations are very common in our horses today. They are caused by a number of factors:
- contaminated drinking water (both from wells and from city water)
- polluted farm lands where hay and grains are grown
- insecticide application
- wood chewing
- grain processing
Some of the heavy metals can be transferred to the foal via placental transfer from the mother. Horses afflicted with Cushing’s Syndrome, neurologic disease and those suffering from allergies will commonly have underlying heavy metal toxicity that is causing damage and hypersensitivity to the immune system. It is very difficult to successfully treat these conditions in horses if the true cause of the disease is toxic metal poisoning.
Horse Hair Analysis® provides us with a tremendous opportunity to evaluate not only your horse’s health and nutrition via his or her vitamin, mineral and metal levels, but it will also allow us to review how well your current feed and supplementation program is working. If you think your horse might have high levels of toxic metals in its system or to learn more about Horse Hair Analysis please visit the HHA page on our website or HHA in our online store.